Friday, April 10, 2020

Report from the Homefront: Work from Home Rookie edition

The first few days of shelter in place expectations found me on Spring Break and, in theory, I was on vacation.  But it was already abundantly clear that we would not be returning to regular classes on March 30 and so I was working every day, in my usual dual capacity, as both a 7th grade history teacher and a school administrator.  Sorting out the logistics of teaching my classes from home and helping to make plans for the rest of the school to run remotely meant busy days.

Despite the work that clearly needed doing, I was in need of a break. So I decided that I would fully embrace the work from home advantage and spend my days in my pajamas.

Take that, pandemic!

By day 3, I was morose and filled with despair.  It became abundantly clear that while I had no choice but to be the-work-from-home-type, I was not the work-from-home-in-your pajamas type.  T, who has worked from home for more than 5 years and has the pajama collection to prove it, made the diagnosis: working from home in your nightgown is not for you, she suggested, while backing away from my piteous glare.

That was during the first week of this nonsense.  Here at the end of week 4, I’ve recognized how much I like routines and so I’ve made new ones to reflect current stay-at-home conditions.  During the weekdays, I set an alarm for 7 am, shower, get dressed in actual clothes (though not shoes), and then come downstairs to get to work in my study.  I take a break to eat breakfast, style my hair, and brush my teeth before classes begin.  Basically, I’ve inserted routines into my home life, where I hadn’t needed them before.  

Happily, though I sometimes feel the jitters of being housebound, I love Sassafras House.  I enjoy working in my brightly lit and newly well-organized study.  Spring and our growing ability to be outside certainly helps.  Being aware of my multiple blessings helps even more.  I may not be able to work in pajamas but my flip flop collection is really earning its keep.  And that’s happy!

No comments: