Wednesday, February 01, 2023

February 1: Ursula the Aloe

I have a friend who names all of her houseplants.  Lest you conclude that she only has three or four plants, I hasten to report that she has nearly as many houseplants as I do.  I am impressed by her naming game.  Most of my plants don’t have names but a few do and this month’s plant certainly does.  Internet, please meet Ursula.


Three years ago, Ursula lived in this blue pot and she was only slightly larger than the aloe that lives here today.
  


The plant currently in this modest blue pot is an offshoot from Ursula (a pup…that is seriously what they are called).
  Her name is Avril.  Keeping Avril was risky given how Ursula has grown.  But I can’t say no to a plant, so here we are.  

In the Winter, Ursula lives in the living room, next to the radiator and on a plant stand so that she can be easily moved should such a need arise.  She’ll relocate to the front porch come Spring.  But no matter where she lives, Ursula is impressive, if prickly.  Though she’s something of an inconvenient companion, I just can’t bring myself to give her up.

No comments: