Saturday, February 18, 2023

Headed Home

I’ve been in California since the 2nd of the month, to be with my family after my dad’s death and to spend some extra time with my mom as she navigates this next chapter in her world.  She’s a trooper, as my sister and I expected, but it’s a big change for her.  This time has been a blessing, as I helped her with some practical tasks and took the time to remind her of her own strengths as she plans for her future.  I head back home to New Jersey this morning confident that my mom will be okay and I’m looking forward to being home. 

My house is my favorite place in the world, a blessing beyond compare in my daily life.  It’s welcoming and cozy; my always lovely place to land and refresh my spirit.  It’s the place with my front porch, my plants, and my books, the things that feed my soul on a daily basis.  I’m ready to see JT, to see Lucy Cat in her sunny basket (and, if we’re honest, to entertain her grievances about my absence, a process that may last a few weeks).  I’m ready to prop my feet on my ottoman, make a pot of tea, rest my head on my cool pillow under the down comforter in my soft bed, and sip my morning cup of coffee as I admire the dawn sky from my back window. 

Home is where my heart is and I’ll be so glad to step through the front door tonight.



No comments: