Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pop! Went the Tire


Wednesday afternoon, we were headed to Philly on I-95 when I heard a loud pop (and you just know that is bad news)....within seconds I felt the car pull to the right. My rear passenger tire had gone flat. I pulled to the side of the interstate and went into independent mama mode and called Triple A. It was 3:01, still plenty of time to make our 6:25 flight. With Triple A promising to rescue me, I called my friend A and then my friend T, just in case back-up was required.

Good thing I did that because an hour later, Triple A still hadn't found me and had told me to call 9-1-1.....because if the trooper could find me, then Triple A would follow. Let me just say right now, that I was on I-95, in a silver SUV, on the side of the road and in full view of God and everyone. It wasn't exactly back-country.

I saw the trooper at the same time that a very nice man in a Suburban hopped out and strode to my car wearing Army fatigues and obviously ready to rescue me. Army dude and the PA trooper agreed that the trooper would change my tire. And then A and M pulled up with a plan. M would wait with the trooper while he changed the tire. JT and I would get in the car with A, who would take us to the airport, in plenty of time for our flight. And T, who can drive a stick shift, would bat clean-up, picking up M and driving may car back to A & M's house. These women had a plan and they weren't afraid to use it. That was good because by then I just wanted to be told what to do.

A got us to the airport in plenty of time and from the gate I called to thank my rescue angels. A and M were as gracious as always. T informed me that it was no big deal, and in fact, she already had my car at Goodyear to repair the tire.

Honestly, I was speechless. This summer has been my summer to need help from my friends and time after time they have delivered, with grace, good humor, and terrific kindness. This time, they saved the vacation.

And I didn't even cry!

2 comments:

JAXTER said...

Can I just say that is AMAZING!!! I am glad you made it to the airport and arrived in sunny CA safely.

Shelley said...

Wow, what an amazing story! Phew!

Guess I need to work on the smoothitude of my travel vibes, though. :-)