Sunday, July 16, 2006

Vacation Journal --- Day 2



Sunday, July 9
After breakfast this morning we headed off to Provincetown to get our bikes: Shelley ordered up two tag-a-long bikes for the boys to ride behind their moms while we explore Cape Cod. Within a few minutes, Terri and I were off, riding back through P'town on the 6A highway, to meet up with Shelley and the car at the beach. Shelley watched us carefully, bringing a water bottle at one point in the journey. It was a nice 2 mile ride and it felt good.

We hung out at the beach for several hours as the tide went out and sandbars magically appeared. The boys played and ran and ran and ran some more. We sat under the umbrella and enjoyed our picnic and some grown-up hanging out.

Then we rode back to the campsite ---- a longer ride this time, about 4 miles. JT climbed on the back of my bike and off we rode, across the highway and onto the North Highland bike trail. The ride was terrific and I felt so strong, so powerful, so very much like I could go-it-alone. Damnit, I was going it alone. Of course, this is all happening with the safety net of the R-K family. But the reality of my new life is that I will need to ask my friends to help out without feeling like that makes me weak. I know that I will learn to do this.

By the time the ride was over, I felt as good as Lance Armstrong (though my thighs suggest that I am no Lance Armstrong). My boy and I are a terrific team and we were having a great vacation. And with every day that I passes I grow more confident that we will also have a happy life.

No comments: