Friday, June 22, 2007

Post Secret

Every Sunday I check the secrets at www.postsecret.blogspot.com. It's an amazing collection of postcards, all anonymous, and all revealing a secret. I first learned about the webiste from an NPR story (yeah, I'm a mega-geek). I was immediately struck by the poignancy of the idea. Folks send in an illustrated postcard with a secret written on it.

I often think about a secret I might send. And then I think about who might (or worse, might not) read that secret. But that's as far as I ever get. I envy those who tell their secret and I hope that it gives them freedom and peace. I'd like that for myself.

As for me, maybe my secret isn't that much of a secret. Sometimes I think that it's only a wish that will remain unfulfilled. Maybe it's just a fear? Often I think that putting words to my secret won't make it go away but instead will make it all the more real. And therefore all the more hard to bear.

I don't know the answer to these questions but you should check out the website. It's a powerful place.

7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I have checked itout and find it interesting.

Kayt Ludi said...

I L-O-V-E Post Secret (have been addicted to it for awhile now), and I loved your post too! :)

Regina said...

I've been there, too and it's amazing what some people write...

Rob Kistner said...

Sounds voyeuristically fascinating... I'll have to check it out.

Patois42 said...

I've heard about it, but something has stopped me from going there. Like maybe I don't want to know some things.

lisrobbe said...

I love that site! I am NPR fanatic too. I even listen to local states public radio online when I can.

Annie said...

I too like NPR. I've never been to Post Secret, but I'm on my way there right now. Thanks for the link and the post. I enjoyed it.