Saturday, October 20, 2007

Real Life Conversations with a Colleague

Note: Sensitive readers should understand that this post sacrifices good taste for humor. You've been warned.

The backstory: We're wrapping up our Friday afternoon here at prep school with a speaker from the Darfur region of the Sudan. It's a serious topic; one that our students deeply care about. But it's a bit of a downer to wrap up a long week and the kids get Monday off (while the teachers have faculty development), so there is a spirited tone in the halls. We're all a little slap-happy. As we got ready to attend the assembly, a colleague and I were talking about the afternoon's program.

X: I'm going to need a cigarette before this thing begins.

Me: I need a drink.

X: In fact, if I don't get a cigarette, by the time I get down there I'll make the janjaweed look like the freakin' welcome wagon.

It's been a long, long time since I laughed that hard at work. I entered the assembly in just the right mood.

1 comment:

JAXTER said...

I definitely would have joined you in that drink...and I totally understand the jonesing for a smoke at that point! I was kind of glad I was able to leave early and didn't get the full front-on downer dose.