Sunday, October 28, 2007

Real Life Conversations with JT

The backstory: I’m helping with homework. Phonics is on the agenda and we are reviewing short and long vowel sounds. I’m confused about which words are compound words. It’s a temporary condition, my confusion, but the boy seizes on my weakness.

Mama: Just a minute, honey, I need to think.

JT: Are you saying you don’t know what a compound word is? AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A TEACHER?

Mama: I teach history and government, we don’t really talk about compound words.

JT: Well I hope not, since you don’t know what they are.

Exposed for the fraud that I am.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Taylor (does anyone still call you Taylor? Is it OK if I do?) - your Mom probably doesn't even know what a subjunctive future pluperfect dangling participle is, silly lady.

Hope everything is well on the Jersey shore. I had a phone interview this morning with a school that's a little less than three hours from there - Lycoming College in Williamsport, PA (Home of the Little League World Series!). I think it went well, but I have no experience with these sorts of things. They didn't hang up on me anyway.

Shark Butt said...

One of my aunts explained the compound word situation very succinctly by saying that each of two words in a compound word can stand alone, her example; fartface.