Saturday, June 07, 2008

Dictionary

So, I was reading the dictionary (American Heritage College Dictionary, 3rd edition, for those of you who like precision).

Its none of your business why I was reading the dictionary, but I will say this: I was not looking up all the naughty words.

So I come across the entry for Sacramento, as in Sacramento, California, the state's capital (and, incidentally, the town in which I was born). The entry reads, ""The capital of CA, in the N-central part, NE of Oakland." This is all true, of course, but NE of Oakland? Because it strikes me that many people have no idea where the hell Oakland is. So maybe instead of NE of Oakland, how about NE of San Francisco? It's a slightly more well-known landmark.

That is all.

4 comments:

Shark Butt said...

Yes, San Francisco is slightly more well known than Oakland, just as New York City is slightly more well known than Tenafly, NJ.

Shelley said...

Clearly, they need you on staff.

Unknown said...

Count me unsurprised. The American Dictionary Association or America's Oakley-bias is well-documented and, or so I thought, widely-known.

Shark Butt said...

Its none of your business why I was reading the dictionary, but I will say this: I was not looking up all the naughty words.

Were you looking up some of the naughty words?