Monday, June 16, 2008

What White Children Eat

In the children department, my sister and I have both been cursed with picky eaters. I maintain that in her case it's the karmic reward of her lifetime of picky eating, not to mention the year of her adolescence that she spent eating only baked potatoes. From the microwave.

In my case, it's undeserved.

In any case, as preparation for her visit she sent me the list of foods to have on hand to feed her hungry children for breakfast. It reminded me of this blog though I imagine that actual white people eat arugala lettuce dressed with light balsamic vinaigrette dressing, organic avocado, and a side of fair trade crackers.

What the white Sassafras nephews will eat, as reported directly from KO's e-mail:

-Yoplait french vanilla yogurt...plain old kind in the red/white container...not whipped
-Eggo homestyle waffles (make sure you have cinnamon sugar for C and syrup for S)
-Poptarts-brown sugar variety only
-string cheese-Kraft brand only (it's the firmest, and we don't like a flaccid string cheese)
-mild cheddar cheese single serve rectangles (I buy the Target brand)
-apple jacks
-if you can find any smallish chocolate muffins, that would delight C
- sesame seed bagels

This is food that is largely devoid of color; the stuff that white children eat.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with them on the brown sugar pop-tarts - deeeeeee-licious!

Jeff said...

In my family, we would have added apple juice to the list. My brother pretty much lived on grilled cheese and apple juice until he was a teenager.

Also, a few weekends ago, while visiting friends on Long Island, we discovered that our friend Keisha, who is black and from Guyana, scores very highly on Stuff White People Like, while our friend Dan, who is white and from the Central Valley in California, topped the chart on the Stuff Educated Black People Like. I guess stereotypes don't always work out.

kln said...

the sister is in town!? i had a feeling.
i'll be over whenever i see the car in the drive way (clearly the way it is done)

Serena said...

found your blog randomly. it's awesome!! keep up the good writing.