Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Error Charged to the Daughter

In a recent conversation with my father, I mentioned that JT and I had been watching so many Yankees games of late that we both know the team's batting order. I allowed that we are really enjoying the games and are looking forward to going to a real game at Yankee Stadium when my sister and her family come to town. And then I said, "I've almost become a fan."

Silence.

And then my father asked, "Almost?"

Sensing disinheritance in my immediate future if I misspoke, I went straight to the family playbook for an appropriate response. "Well, they ought to be good with that colossal payroll," I said.

The tension eased and we commenced to vehemently agree about the many ways in which the Yankees are the devil incarnate.

4 comments:

Shark Butt said...

Nice recovery!

Jeff said...

I gotta say I'm with your dad on this one. I know that the Yankees are the easiest geographical choice, but letting JT grow up a Yankee fan just because he lives in New Jersey would be like letting him grow up a republican just because he lives in Texas. It's just wrong. I've got to get that kid a Red Sox hat post haste.

JAXTER said...

I have to say I just fell in love with your father - anybody willing to trash the Yankees is my best friend, well, within reason of course.

Chelle said...

I have something of the opposite problem with my family - which is a major part of the reason that I don't follow professional baseball - most of my family are die-hard Yankees fans and I live smack dab in the heart of Red Sox nation. I don't root against the Sox, but I don't root for them either. And I have _never_ worn a Yankees hat!