Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's for Supper?

One of the things that brings me great satisfaction is to cook for people, especially the people whom I love. I make supper every evening and JT and I sit at the table and talk about our day. But I am at my most satisfied when I have a table full of hungry people. So having my sister and nephews in town is an opportunity that I relish. Though my son and nephews are the world's pickiest eaters, when you make them the food they love to eat, they are happiest of picky eaters.

Whether it's big bowls of macaroni and cheese for hungry boys (though they prefer a Kraft box to my homemade mac & cheese, a blasphemy with which I was able to make peace)...
...or Sunday night's tacos with beans and rice (we are all Californians, after all), it makes me happy to be in the kitchen.
On Sunday, as JT approached the table with his cousins he was loud in his praise, "My mama makes the best guacamole tacos," he announced. Music to my ears, a statement like that. Last night I grilled burgers and made tater tots.....not exactly gourmet, but all the diners at my house were happy.
At the end of the summer, when JT makes a list of all the things he enjoyed the most, I'll make a list of my own. And it's a safe bet to assume that cooking for KO and her boys will be among the highlights of my summer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I trust all your visitors have been appropriately wary of pickpockets and loose women during their visit?

Shark Butt said...

JT's mama does make the best guacamole tacos and the best chicken tacos too!