Thursday, December 03, 2009

Subtleties

Today, I took some students to a conference for the empowerment of young women.  Girls from all over central New Jersey attended workshops on topics like cultural identity, body image, dating issues, and gender equity.....basically your standard Girl Power sort of fare.

My students enjoyed the sessions and we had some interesting discussions.  But I will admit that I was a bit taken aback when a young woman from another school rushed over to her friends at their table and yelled: "Why didn't you tell me there is a cute emo boy in the lobby?"

I believe she failed to absorb some of the nuances of the empowerment workshops.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

HA! As much feminism as I feed into my daughters, I'm afraid their deepest thoughts may someday be about what earrings match their cell phone. *sigh*