Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Noted

The end of the month is fast approaching and so it's time for December's most notable remarks. There aren't that many this month.  But though the trove is small, it is quite rich.

I have a class distinguished by its proclivity to bring take-out to class while we discuss the ins-and-outs of American government. So it is that our discussions of bureaucracy are accompanied by the smells of Thai food, or whatever constitutes the take-out du jour. From this group, two notable comments were delivered in the month of December:
"What I look for in a girl is the smell of bacon on her hands."
-and-
"Have you ever noticed that McDonald's has an aftertaste of shame?"

Come the new year, this class can expect that the bar is high.

At my school, most students are enrolled in a study hall. As a rule, that's a place where a student may sign out providing he or she has kept all of their course grades over C-. If you are staying in study hall, by definition, you don't fall into this category. The idea is that a student should use study hall to, ahem, study. But that version of reality seemed to be lost on Student X who signed in to study hall one afternoon and then promptly asked me: "Can I go get a pillow from the lounge? I need a nap."

I raised my eyebrow at this request and then let it go. The need for sleep is not to be trifled with. But I wanted to ask: "haven't you been sleeping through class?"

No comments: