Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fighting Gravity

Today, right around 1 pm, the underwire on the right side of my bra gave up the struggle against gravity.  I felt a startling snap as I moved and knew exactly what that sound meant.  The good news is that I wasn't teaching class when it happened. The bad news is…..well, underwire failure is never good.

I have an entire category of stories related to cataclysmic bra disasters.  Because I have no boundary, at least one has been posted here before.   On the basis of that experience (and others! so many others!), I know that underwire failures are fairly routine and certainly easier to manage than something like front hook failure, which requires a careful and delicate response. 

 It's one thing to be a tad uneven and yet another to be entirely lopsided.  So in the aftermath of today's collapse, I headed to the bathroom to assess the damage.  Mercifully, it wasn't packed with teenage girls, whose critical eye can be withering.   Damage assessment revealed that if I stood up straight I could make it through the day without attracting undesired attention, looks of concerns, or the whispered negative assessments of teenagers.

I survived the rest of the day without any more personal garment failures.  Under the circumstances, that might qualify as a minor miracle.

No comments: