Saturday, May 29, 2010

Real Life Conversations with JT: Asking and Telling edition

The backstory: We do a lot of NPR listening in my family (so much so, that during the pledge drive when a young woman said she pledged as soon as she turned 18 because she'd been listening in the backseat of the car for all of her life…JT nodded his head and raised his hand in affirmation and solidarity).  All this NPR listening also offers an avenue for me to explain the world to JT.  Thursday evening as we drove home from a Little League game, there was a story about an upcoming Congressional vote to repeal the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy in the military.  I braced myself for a discussion of why gays aren't permitted to openly serve.

JT (in an incredulous tone):  You mean they don't let some people join the military and maybe die for their country just because they are gay? 

Mama:  Yes.

JT (now sputtering with anger and shaking his head):  That's just ridiculous.  Just so silly.  Ridiculous.  They want to help their country and we should let everyone help.

One of the things I've noticed about raising my son is that I have to explain the world's injustices to a child whom I have taught to believe in the promise of equality and justice. When these examples of inequality and injustice come along, I have to explain them and then explain why the adults in the world haven't fixed this problem.  And then I have to look into the disappointed eyes of child who trusts grown ups and expects them to do better.

And you know that's the thing: He's right and we should be better than this.  Here's hoping that DADT is swept into the dustpan.

No comments: