Friday, May 07, 2010

Real Life Conversations with JT: Speaking in Codes edition

The backstory: My parents are in town for the week (to help supervise the bathroom renovation and generally hang out) and Thursday night we were sitting around the table after supper.  Supper was late because baseball practice ran until 7:30 and things were more chaotic than usual (which is saying A LOT). Why? Because in addition to the non-functional bathroom upstairs, the toilet downstairs had sprung a leak.  The leak required water shut-off to said toilet, rendering it useless as well.  Living without a shower is one thing; no toilet is a whole other.  So I devised a solution, albeit a risky one whereby the victim would use the toilet and then I would quickly turn on the water to fill the tank, flush, and then shut off the water at once to minimize leaking.  Flushing that toilet could no longer be considered easy.

My life is so glamorous.

So we had things generally under control, though I wouldn't call it a restful evening.  JT, eager to comply with the rules, started the following conversation with me as we finished supper.

JT:  I have to use the bathroom.

Mama:  Well go ahead.  BUT DON"T FLUSH.  I'll flush it later.

JT:  That won't do.

Mama:  Why?

JT:  Because, Mama.......

And then he made one hand into a glove and with the other flashed two fingers, just like a catcher calling the pitch.   We fell out laughing.

Friday morning, the amazing JP the Plumber fixed the new problem before he set to work on the old.  The man is a miracle worker.

No comments: