Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Getting By

At this point in the school year, I am pretty well tuckered out.  I live my days on a day-by-day basis, packing lunches by rote, and generally doing my level best to just get where I should be.

This afternoon, I needed to be at the 3rd and 4th grade concert in the lower school.  I sent JT to class equipped with the proper attire and then promised I would be there to hear him sing in the choir.  He was slated to sing around 1:25. I got my class started at 1:20, handed them off to a temporary keeper (called a prefect, which sounds much better than keeper, but isn't nearly as amusing to me), and then slipped into the hall just as the choir started to sing.  As I slid into my seat, JT gave me a thumbs up, our family sign of recognition.

I heard every bit of the choir and then the concert closed with a round of applause.  I walked back up to my classroom and finished out my classes for the day.  Later on, as we talked about the concert, I said to JT, "I made it into the hall with just a second to spare;  I hope you weren't worried."  He stopped and looked at me and then said, "I knew you'd be there, Mama. You always are."

In fact,  I am the always-there sort of mama.  And my boy knows this about me.  I worry so much and so often about doing right by this miracle of mine and I need to remind myself more often that we seem to be getting by just fine.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

Yes, you are the always there mama. And it is a beautiful thing.