Friday, December 03, 2010

Food Friday: Loaded Baked Potatoes

This recipe is a comfort food staple of my kitchen --- such a staple that I don't even have a recipe written down.  But this dish is such an essential part of my cold weather kitchen that I thought it might be worth my while to write it down and make a record of it.  Privately,  I call it potato goop, which JT points out hardly sounds inviting.  You can call it whatever you like; I guarantee that you'll call it delicious.

This is comfort food, so it's not low fat (far from it!) but if you were a better woman than I, you could make some substitutions to make it a more healthy addition to your cooking repertoire.

4 baking potatoes, washed and ready for baking
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 green onions, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

optional: 6 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped

Heat the oven to 400 degrees and then toss the potatoes inside.  Bake for one hour.   In the meantime, mix together the sour cream, soft butter, grated cheese, and green onions.   Set aside while the potatoes finish baking.
When the potatoes have baked, split them in half, fork the insides up a bit, add a generous dollop of the sour cream mixture.  The heat of the potato will help to melt the cheese and butter and make it all sorts of tasty.  Sprinkle some bacon on top.
See if there is some Lipitor lying about the house and eat up. 

Serves four.

No comments: