Wednesday, February 01, 2012

February 1st: Front Yard Flowerbed

For two reasons, I'm finding it  a bit hard to believe that it's already February 1st.  The first reason is the usual one…the month of January just flew by me.  I'm still having to remember that it's 2012 when I write the date and yet February has arrived.

The other reason I'm confused is that the winter weather has felt more like a between-seasons set of days.  We've had a few frigid days, but for the most part it's been a mild winter.  Yesterday, the temperature rose to 60 degrees and JT changed into shorts as soon as he got home.  Today is a similarly warm winter day, and we've already achieved our forecast high of 61 degrees. 

All this warm weather has me a bit addled.  Yesterday, I found myself wondering if I should head outside and plant some seeds for a spring herb crop.  My head knows that we likely have some cold days ahead but my gardener's heart is unrealistically excited.  And as the peeping hosta and flower bulbs in the front yard flowerbed reveal, I'm not alone.
I've no doubt that winter still has some cold and snow in store for us.  But for now, the garden and I live in spring hope.

No comments: