Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Real Life Conversations at School: Court Side Seating edition

The backstory:  In my classroom, seats are assigned.  Each month, I re-shuffle the deck and then I assign students a seat on the chart.  There are only 20 seats in the classroom, grouped into three rows, so no student is that far away from the front (or, for that matter, located in the way back).   The idea is to encourage students to be comfortable with uncertainty and to know that their spot in class is guaranteed.    Requests are not granted and students treat seat assignment day as entertainment.  On the first day of the month, they eagerly consult the map for their place in the class.  Last Thursday, when February seats were assigned, I discovered that they even have names for the rows to which they've been assigned.

Student M:  I've got a court side seat (he's in the center of the front row)

Student B: Dang.  I'm in the upper deck (on the far left, back row).

As for me, I'm amused.

No comments: