Saturday, March 16, 2013

Daffodil Optimism

This morning, the promise of time off and spring break lies ahead of me.  For the next 10 days, I can enjoy lazy mornings and free time.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that JT has a particularly nasty cold, full-blown as of last night.  Late last week, it was made clear that I will be teaching an additional class of 10th graders when we return to school.  Some of my time off must be used to plan for that reality.  Our break is shortened by four days (thanks, Sandy), at a time when we are truly worn out and need the rest.  Snow is in the frigid forecast for the next week.

Sigh.

Still, snow forecast not withstanding, I treat Spring as a hopeful time and spring break is no exception.  I've decided to concentrate on the good.  JT can rest now and recover from his cold.  I will think of the new class as a chance to read some extra history books.  No matter how cold it is outside, I will play in the garden and get ready for the vibrant blooms that are just around the corner.  I can at least make a dent in the pile of books and New Yorker magazines that litter the house.  T is planning to stay here for the week and that will be lovely.

There is promise in the air and by golly I will find it.

No comments: