Thursday, January 30, 2014

Amaryllis, Week 5

Since I detected the beginnings of a shoot headed upward last week, I’ve been careful to check in on my bulb each day.  As we experience day after day of unusually cold temperatures, the amaryllis is truly the only thing growing around here.  The prospect of a floral bloom is really rather thrilling, trapped indoors as I am feeling.  The first shoot I saw is doing quite well.


But the really exciting development is that another shoot has joined in on the action.


Last week’s snow remains firmly in place and but for one day in the last two weeks, we haven’t had a high temperature above freezing (and that day was 40, not exactly a heatwave)  This morning when I got up at 5:30, the temperature outside was -4 degrees.  The amaryllis holds court on a warm radiator in a southern window, reminding me that spring will eventually arrive.

No comments: