Sunday, October 25, 2015

Gratitude is a Verb

On Saturday, my school organized for a morning of school-wide community service.  The day started at 7:30 am and ended by early afternoon.  I volunteered to help out, but it must be said that I was there out of duty, not in the spirit of willingness.  I’m ashamed to admit that now, but it’s the truth: I resented not being able to sleep in and spend my Saturday morning as I please.

With a fellow faculty member and six students, I helped to make 180 bag lunches to be distributed by Elijah’s Promise, a local organization that provides food and services to a population of people in need.  In addition to the lunches, we made 300 packets of silverware to be used by the food bank for their annual Thanksgiving feast.

In a little less over three hours, the eight of us put together meals that will feed hungry people in need of a meal.  


I hope that the food is a reminder that someone cares.  Heaven knows that the effort reminded of all the things for which I should be grateful:  my world with plenty to eat, an abundance of people to love, and a warm, safe home.  Mine is a world of privilege and yesterday I had a much-needed reminder of all the ways I should be grateful.   Not a bad way to spend a few hours of my time.

No comments: