Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Price of Vigilance

Being attentive to politics, both domestic and international, is part of my DNA.  Since the Newsweek subscription that I started at the age of 14, I’ve paid close attention to the news.  These days, I regularly read the New York Times, Mother Jones, the Nation, and Vox.  I follow some excellent print and digital reporters on Twitter.  NPR is my station of choice and I listen to the morning and evening broadcasts every day.  I think of myself as well-informed; I’ve always been proud of that.

In the Trump era, there is a price to that vigilance.  The daily news out of our president is rarely good, and often frustrating and anger-inducing.  My lifelong pattern has been to get up in the morning and switch on NPR at the same time I start brewing my coffee.  Lately, I’ve found myself standing in front of the radio and taking a deep breath to brace myself before I turn it on to experience the day’s news.

I am deeply frustrated and disheartened.  This president dependably demonstrates ignorance, racism, and sexism; he’s shallow and self-absorbed.  His administration is gravely incompetent, ruled by half-formed rationales and ignorant policy proposals.  Trump’s own propensity for mean-spirited name-calling is shameful.  He is unable to rise above anything and we all suffer as a consequence.

For this reason, it’s more important than ever that I pay attention and we all remain attentive and involved.  It’s hard to do when paying attention to the news invariably means signing up for a punch in the gut.  But absorbing that punch to remain vigilant is the cost of democracy right now.  I fear for my nation as I have never feared before and that is a very uncomfortable feeling.

No comments: