Saturday, July 28, 2018

Adventures in Home Repair


On Friday afternoon, JT and I arrived home within minutes of one another.  As he helped me to unload the groceries, he advised me that there was water leaking out from under the kitchen sink.  I reluctantly opened the cabinet to find that yeah, there was water.  About a half inch of it with more still coming.

Awesome way to start the weekend.

I quickly emptied out the cabinet’s cleaning supplies while JT gathered the old towels we keep on hand for just such an emergency.  The collected cleaning supplies got stored on the front porch.  


Three large towels later, we’d sopped up the water and discovered the source of the leak.  We called our plumber (when you have a house that is more than 80 years old, you have a plumber of choice) and let him know we required his services.  A small bowl underneath the leak filled in less than an hour, so JT set to work in search of a larger item to collect the leaking water.  He hit upon a solution in the attic.  In the meantime, I tightened the water line and though I couldn’t stop it, that slow the leak to a manageable drip.  The bin underneath fills in about 6 hours, not ideal but manageable for the weekend.


My plumber has already phoned me back; he’ll be here on Monday morning.  Since we dodged the bullet of standing water on wood floors, we're gonna call this a win. Updates as warranted.

No comments: