Thursday, July 05, 2018

Like Camping, but with a Sofa and Fridge


My air conditioner offered its resignation as the year’s biggest heatwave rolled in to town.  After some back and forth, a replacement is slated to be installed on Saturday.  I have a window unit in my bedroom so that I can sleep comfortably, and I could certainly hang out with friends.  But I’m off work for the rest of this week and I like to be home.

Originally, I had plans to be one part productive and one part leisurely for this time off.  I planned to garden, read for hours, touch up some trim paint, clean a closet or two, and catch up on the home improvement shows on my DVR.  But even with the windows open and fans blowing, the house is steamy and unpleasant, so I’ve basically converted to camping-at-home mode.  I’ve spent hours on the shaded front porch or back deck with books and electronic devices that can easily be charged by stepping inside.   The walk to get a drink of water or use the bathroom is easy, if sweaty.  My heat-loving cats are happy and sleepy, per their usual habit.

I’ve mostly made salads or cooked on the grill outside, which is the summer mode around here anyway. I’d like to make jam to can for winter gifts but there is no way I will get the kitchen that hot without a/c, so jam-making will wait.  There is plenty of time for jam and outside relaxation is lovely.  It’s nice to have a coffee maker and a fridge to keep the half & half cold.  When the heat is too much I retreat to my meat-locker of a bedroom and cool off.  In the meantime, I enjoy the chirping birds, cicadas, unexpected breezes, and counting my blessings.  

No comments: