Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Independence Day


Because I study and teach American history, I’ve never had an unvarnished view of our nation.  I know the words of the Declaration of Independence and understand the history behind them.  I know the power of the promise that all men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  My heart still swells when I hear those words.  I find them so meaningful that I named my son after the man who wrote them.  

Those facts noted, my mind never forgets that from the moment those powerful words were first written down, we’ve fallen short of the promise.  

I am aware that the promise, however incomplete, has served as an inspiration for countless people, for those born here and those who came here to become Americans.  From Frederick Douglas to Harriet Tubman; from Marcus Garvey to Martin Luther King and John Lewis; from Elizabeth Cady Stanton to Susan B. Anthony, from Cesar Chavez to Barack Obama, the inspiration has been the same.  Our history is filled with brave people who sought (and seek) for a nation that could live up to the promise of the words in the Declaration.

Today is the 4th of July, a day when we celebrate our nation.  These days, it’s hard to celebrate our government.  Mr. Trump and the Republican party who run the government are on a path of which I do not approve.  Their venal and ugly racism and sexism is a threat to our shared liberty.  Right now, I am not proud to be an American.

But I am still moved by the words of the Declaration; I believe in them and still see promise in them.  And I am with the millions of Americans who want to work toward our better angels.  We are loud and we aren’t giving up.  To paraphrase Dr. King, I know that the arc of history is long and I know that it bends toward justice.  Today, as with everyday, I’m with justice. 


No comments: