Friday, November 23, 2018

Traditions: Cornbread Dressing


I am not a fan of stuffing, especially the kind that gets crammed into a roasted bird for Thanksgiving.  I am a fan of cornbread dressing, which is a million times more delicious and doesn’t carry the risk of salmonella poisoning.  My recipe is based on an old Southern Living version and it’s deceptively simple: stale cornbread (I bake it the day before and let it set out overnight), finely minced onion and jalapeño, pepper, and chicken stock.  


I mix that all together and then place it in a casserole dish that came from my grandmother.  I can’t be sure, but to me that makes it taste better.  


Before supper is served, I bake it and enjoy the savory smell.  I make cornbread dressing every Thanksgiving.  It’s a tradition I cherish.  As I stir together the ingredients, I think of past holidays and family, both those with us and those who have passed, and I appreciate the many blessings I have enjoyed over the years.  


Cornbread dressing tastes like home and that’s happy!

No comments: