Thursday, August 22, 2019

Nervous Energy


Right after we dropped JT off, T had surgery on her left arm to remove an unwelcome lump.  It’s likely to be a benign lipoma, but while we await the pathology report and she recovers from the surgery (complete with a nearly 4 inch incision and a left arm totally casted for the first week of recovery), I have a lot of nervous energy to burn off while I serve as her nurse.

Enter cooking, my traditional task for showing my affection.

I’ve roasted chicken for T.  I baked a tomato pie with garden tomatoes and made zucchini pancakes with local produce.  This afternoon, I’ve stirred together an amazing summer corn chowder recipe that cooks in the crock pot.  We’ll have that for supper alongside some grilled bacon-wrapped shrimp.  Later this afternoon, I’ll bake some brownies.

Tomorrow, I plan to make toasts with chèvre, radish, and scallions, one of those easy combinations that tastes far more amazing than the time that goes into it.  We’ll enjoy it with leftovers from the week and the taste will remind me to stop and enjoy these last days of summer.  

I always enjoy cooking.  Unlike most things in my life, it’s work that usually ends in a finished product, which I suspect is much of the enjoyment I derive from it.   It’s something I can do while T heals and we try not to fret.  It’s my way of showing love and burning off energy.

It’s also delicious and that’s happy!

No comments: