Sunday, March 01, 2009

March 1st: Hostas

Earlier this week, as I was contemplating this entry to my blog, I looked out the window and thought I saw a spot of green in the corner of the hosta bed. I got all excited: my first sight of Spring! Though I wanted to rush right out and admire that bloom, I decided to wait until the morning of the 1st for my monthly picture of the hosta bed.

It would be a little weekend treat.

So this morning, despite the cold and the scattered snowflakes (not to mention the forecast calling for 6-8 inches of snow tonight), I grabbed my camera and rushed right outside when I woke up. I didn't even wait for my first cup of coffee.

As I approached the hosta bed I realized that I had been deceived: that's not the first sign of spring, that's a green tennis ball.
Sigh. Though I am impatient for some spring warmth, Mother Nature will not be rushed.

My spring break starts in a week and one of my vacation projects is to finish up the winter garden chores. I will throw out some grass seed and put some fertilizer into the garden patch; do some trimming and imagine the surge of growth that will soon take over the garden. All of this will move me that much closer to April 1st and some green.
I hope.

1 comment:

Jason Brozek said...

Wait - I'm supposed to put grass seed down in the winter? What if my yard doesn't melt until May? Am we doomed to another summer of clover?