Friday, November 27, 2009

Report From the Front

Each year, come the fall, JT's copy of the year's Playmobil catalog gets a bit shopworn, as he contemplates which of the toys will make his Christmas list.  He does this in preparation for the December arrival of the Man in Red.

Serving as an agent of the Man, I make sure to know just which items the boy is most desirous of.  Then, on Black Friday, when he heads off to what's her bucket's for her "parenting time," I gin up and head off to the mall.

I face the mall on Black Friday because the Playmobil store offers a 25% off sale, thus permitting the Man in Red to stay on-budget for the holiday season.  It's worth it.  Really.  I swear.

There was a time in my life when I enjoyed shopping.  But these days, I'm the commando guerrilla of shopping.  I go with a mission; I get in and then I get out with the goods. The goal is speed and efficiency in acquisition.

So it was with today's mission to Playmobil.  I was in and out of the store in less than 30 minutes.  I did pause as I walked through Sears on my way to Playmobil when I heard a voice announce that free stainless steel knives would be available at Level II next to the Christmas tree by the escalator...one per customer.

Is it advisable to hand out free knives at the mall on Black Friday?  We live in New Jersey, for heaven's sake.  I cannot be the only person who thinks free knives in this situation is a very bad idea. 

Needless to say, I moved right along.

No comments: