Thursday, August 04, 2011

Deer Daycare

Last weekend, I spent some time with my friend T, who lives in the woods at the Delaware Water Gap.  This part of New Jersey is unbelievably beautiful, with deep, green forests, blue skies, and hills high enough to see the horizon.  At night, there's enough darkness to see the stars in full display.  I saw Orion, and the Big Dipper.  I saw the Milky Way and counted at least two falling stars.  But the skies weren't the only thing I found enchanting.  In the open grass across the lane from her house is a large green verge where the local deer Mamas encourage their fawns to graze.  T calls it Deer Day Care and I can see why.
This set wasn't the least troubled by our presence in the yard.  They just happily munched as we enjoyed the woods together.
Luckily for me, the deer weren't interested in the wild wineberries growing along the drive.
And, sure I know that the deer population in the Garden State is out of control.  But, golly, they are so cute. So I plan to overlook it and just admire deer o'clock in the big woods.

No comments: