Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurricane Update

Greetings from the other side of Hurricane Irene.  We survived the storm quite nicely, though the power went out about 30 minutes after my last live-blog update on Sunday morning and it remains out as of this writing.  Last night, we retreated up north to my friend T's house where we enjoyed electricity, laundry facilities, and a hot shower.  As soon as the power comes back on, I intend to pump out the basement, which is currently under 4 inches of water.  Once the appliances dry out, I'll see how much damage I sustained.

In the meantime, other than a lot of downed tree branches (and the afore-mentioned lack of power), things are fine at Sassafras House, if a little soggy.  I'll take it.

Full report (and photos!) after I get the electricity back.  In the meantime, I know there are people who had worse damage than I did and I'm feeling grateful for our blessings.  Add to that good friends and a sense of humor, and we're doing just fine.

3 comments:

JAXTER said...

Yay!! You are all safe! Great to hear...

Nichole said...

"...I intend to pump out the basement..." That sounds soooo dirty. Probably only because I'm married to the biggest perv ever, and he kind of rubs off on me. Oh, that sounds dirty, too. Gah!

Chelle said...

Glad to hear you are safe and relatively unscathed.