Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Yes, We Can!

On Sunday afternoon, some friends and I were talking about same sex marriage recognition and I said that I thought it would be another 20 years before the issue was just moot. Or maybe just 3 days, huh?

This afternoon, President Obama told ABC news that he didn't see why same sex couples shouldn't be permitted to get married just like every other American.  There are dozens a terrific news accounts of the President's announcement; I rather like David Corn's take on the whole thing if you wish for another read.

In the meantime, I found the whole afternoon rather thrilling.  I know that there's a long way to go; plenty of states are still far, far away from doing right by their citizens.  I still think that ending Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a more important act.  But, damn, I was proud of my country and my President today.


No comments: