Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hurricane Journal

I write every day in my journal.  For some years now, my journal has been on my computer.  Some of what I write serves as fodder for my blog and the blog itself is a kind of journal.  In the midst of the hurricane and the power loss that followed, charging my MacBook was not an option.  So I had to revert to a paper journal again.  It felt all sorts of old-fashioned to be writing on paper.  It was oddly comforting to be doing something so familiar, albeit in a now-unfamiliar fashion.  All told, we were without power for eight days, some of them quite cold.   I wrote every day.  The storm happened two weeks ago tomorrow and for the next few days I will post some excerpts from my Hurricane journal.  

In the hours leading up to Hurricane Sandy's on-shore arrival, I wrote a few postings about storm anticipation.  Here is what I wrote on Sunday the 28th.  On the day of the storm, I posted two small pieces before we lost electricity.  Those can be found here and here.

 I slept pretty poorly for the nights leading up to the storm, lying in bed running through my preparation lists and hyper-aware of every unusual sound.  My storm prep was actually done as of Saturday afternoon.  Then came an extended dance mix of waiting.  More about that tomorrow.

No comments: