Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful 2012

My dad always says that Thanksgiving is his favorite holiday.  When I was a little girl, I found this claim suspect.  There was no Santa, no Easter Bunny, no gifts at all on Thanksgiving.  Just a lot of (admittedly) good food and the company of family.  Nice, of course.  But clearly a second tier holiday in my eight-year-old estimation.

These days, I can see why my dad likes Thanksgiving so much.  There's the food, of course.  But it's so much more than that.  Thanksgiving is a chance to sit at a table with loved ones, enjoy a meal together, and pause to be thankful for the blessings in our lives.

This year, as we are still cleaning up after the hurricane, I've many blessings to count and I am filled with gratitude for them all.   I'm thankful for a warm, sturdy home.
I'm thankful for old man tree, a tall and strong sentinel on duty in the backyard.

I'm thankful for the electricity, warmth, and light that made this meal possible.
And I'm glad of friends and family both near and far.  They share joys and anxieties, laughter and tears.  They are the biggest blessing in my life.  
Whatever life has brought you this year, I hope that today you can count at least a few blessings. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

No comments: