Friday, September 06, 2013

Real Life Conversations with JT: Politics edition

The backstory: It was Wednesday morning;  the first day of school for new students and my first day meeting students and parents as the Middle School Assistant Principal.  It's 7 am and I'm dressed like a grown up for the first time since mid-June.  My feet already miss their customary flip flops.  JT and I are driving to school and NPR is airing a story about the Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on President Obama's request for congressional authorization to bomb Syria.  I am listening to a conversation between Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) and Secretary of State John Kerry.  While I am undecided on the wisdom of bombing Syria, I am not undecided on the wisdom of Rand Paul: he's an idiot.  

Rand Paul:  Blah, blah, blah….(unrelentingly critical of the Obama Administration with nary a clue as to what is actually happening in Syria, asserting wildly ridiculous notions with no trace of an interest in the facts).

Me:  Seriously?  You are an asshole.  And you're stupid.

JT (in the reasoned voice one uses to calm the insane):  Is this how it's gonna go today, Mama?

The day went quite nicely, thank you.

No comments: