Saturday, January 02, 2016

In Search of Winter

One of the early signs of Spring in my world is the growth of bright green wild chives in the grass of my backyard.  Come late March, they are usually the first sign that warmer, longer days are on their way. 

We’ve had an unseasonably mild Fall and early Winter and the last few weeks have brought more than 6 inches of rain with only the occasional night below freezing.  The ground isn’t warm but it certainly isn’t freezing.  It feels more like March than December or January and I’m not the only one who’s been confused.    There are an abundance of wild chives in my backyard and they smell like Spring.    


The Arctic Blast is forecast to return next week.  Something tells me that January is about to be a shock for these plants.

No comments: