Sunday, May 06, 2007

Carnival




Last week brought warm days in the 70s and nights that were still cool, though not really cold. It was lovely spring weather and the perfect time for a carnival.
After his usual Friday afternoon date with his reading tutor, JT and I headed over to the Middlesex Carnival. The plan was to score some supper and ride some rides as twilight swept over the newly green trees.

Years ago at the Fresno County Fair my sister and I rode the ferris wheel and were lucky enough to get an extra long ride. As JT and I took a spin Friday night, I heard his excited chatter in my ear and remembered that ride. I love ferris wheels and that feel of rising up to see the world at your feet and then coming back around for another turn.

We took our ride and then sought out a nutritionally balanced supper of french fries and zeppoles (there were no corn dogs ------ the only blemish on the evening). JT filled the nutritional gaps with some cotton candy.

It was a nice end to an exhausting week. As we walked back to the car, holding hands and planning the rest of our weekend, I thought about the life that I am building for JT, and the way that I can never hear enough of his laugh and his chatter. I thought about how complete his life makes my own, and how his love and faith in me sometimes take my breath away with their power. I thought about the circle of the ferris wheel, the way that it always comes around, the highs balancing the lows. I thought about where my life has gone in the last year and where I'd like it to head in the next year. And I thought again that I'd really like to be done grieving for the past.

2 comments:

Shark Butt said...

French fries and zeppoles make for a fine, fine supper.

kln said...

I MISSED IT THIS YEAR!!!
such a sad face right now : (

i hate being old.