Monday, May 07, 2007

Front-Loaded

All year long, the teachers at my school have been noting that the AP tests start later this than usual this year. So, knowing that my test is always on the Wednesday of week 2, I've been thinking that I have nothing but time on my hands. Around February, as I adjusted my teaching schedule to account for the fact that the class was behind, I realized that my test date is now the 1st day.

That's today.

I was behind because this is the most inquisitive and thoughtful set of students I have ever taught in AP American Government. I've been teaching this subject for 15 years so it's a pretty terrific complement to this group. There are 14 students in the class and they have been amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better group, especially in a year when I needed the distraction of such a challenge. I always joke that I teach for my own entertainment, but that's not entirely true. However, if it were it true then this year's 2nd period class has more than fulfilled my expectations. They have never been content to simply know things. This class wants to know why and how. They're smart and confident and at the same time they are modest about their remarkable abilities. They hunger for their turn to rule the world.

And I know that in their hands, the world will be safe. I know this because they ran my world every day this year from 9:15 until 10 am. And for those 45 minutes each day, I was engaged and happy. You can't really ask for much more than that.

No comments: