Thursday, May 24, 2007

This Test is Worth Points

Because my students are sometimes obsessed with the number of points they might potentially earn for their assignments, their tests, or just breathing, I try to make it a point to note on every assignment just how many points it's worth.

But every once in a while I write "this test is worth points" on the instructions, intending to fill in the actual number of points before I print and copy the whole thing, and then I forget to fill in the number. The students are exasperated by this and they don't think it's funny. But I am amused when it happens.

Why does this matter? My frosh are taking a test today, their last one before their final exam, and I am so tempted to write "this test is worth points" and deliberately not fill in the number.

It will torture them.

But it will amuse me.

It's a fine line here. And I'm probably going to cross it.

2 comments:

kln said...

this is one of the reasons why you were my favorite teacher.

and also one of the pleasures of wanting to become a teacher.
: )

JaneDoe, Extraordinaire! said...

I love teacher humor! Sometimes it is fun to torture them just for the heck of it ; )