Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day



I spent this past weekend at a camp with my friend S and her son D and a whole lot of wonderful, kind, funny and caring people in the lovely green woods of northern New Jersey. On Sunday morning, we took a walk to a nice big rock and then we all sat in the quiet. For me, that was occasion to think about my very first Mother's Day.

JT was just short of two months and I felt that we had settled into a parenting routine. It was a beautiful Sunday and we gave him a bath in the afternoon. Then, as he lay on our bed in the warm sunshine and wearing just his diaper, he smiled and laughed for the first time. It was a perfect moment and the best Mother's Day gift a child could give his mama.

I've had occasion to hear my boy laugh many, many times since that day 7 years ago. I never tire of the sound. But I still think of that day and his first laugh, a sound filled with the promise of untold moments of laughter yet to come.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

Tie dye is definitely his color.