Sunday, December 02, 2007

First Snow

Though it's early December, I awoke this morning to a blanket of white in my town. It's the first snow of the season. I love the quiet hush of snow and this was a beautiful morning, with thick white flakes gently falling on the trees outside my window as I enjoyed my morning coffee in the quiet.

This evening, after darkness had come, JT and I resumed our winter ritual: a walk through town to admire the snow. He enjoyed a snowy snack and made a few snow angels. JT asked if I went for snowy walks when I was a little girl. So I explained that we didn't have snow in California and then I told him about the time it did snow in the Bay Area when I was in the second grade. My sister and I made a tiny snowman (no more than 12 inches tall) and put him in the freezer to show our dad when he came home from work.

JT can't imagine a life without snowmen in the yard (not to mention the prospect of a snow day at school!). And I am fascinated by the idea that his childhood world is so different from my own.

1 comment:

Gill said...

My 12 yo daughter has never seen snow - she is DESPERATE to make a snowman. I have promised her that if there is any snow even vaguely nearby next Winter I will get her there - I mean you can't be a teenager and not have seen snow!!