Thursday, July 03, 2008

Fireworks

I love Independence Day fireworks. But when you live in the most densely populated state in the nation, you quickly discover that getting to a fireworks venue on the actual 4th of July could make you love fireworks a lot less. And, in my less charitable moments, stuck in a traffic jam with thousands of my fellow New Jerseyans, I find myself wishing that I could use the fireworks against them.

I think this violates the spirit of civility that I usually try to employ when dealing with my fellow man.

So I have resigned myself to not always seeing a fireworks display as part of my summer rituals.

Enter providence and a bit of good luck.

Last night found JT and me in Princeton, to visit our friend D and his mama. By happy coincidence, it was the night of the town fireworks display so when we left their house I asked JT, "wanna go see the fireworks?" He happily nodded yes. We moved our car around to park in a spot featuring a quick escape from town, pulled out the portable chairs I always keep in the car during warm months, and walked over to the field for some fun.

We found a perfect spot as the twilight settled over the field. As we waited, we watched people, counted fireflies, talked about the dude who wrote the Declaration of Independence (we're very fond of Jefferson at Sassafras House), experimented with taking our own picture (longer arms would be very helpful in this regard), and played chopsticks (when will I ever learn to win a match of this game?). Then, just around 9:20, the display began.

It was a perfect way to end the day.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

Excellent picture of y'all