Saturday, July 12, 2008

Nighttime Entertainment

Twice last month I went to a baseball game at night. I know that diehard fans often prefer daytime games and that pleasure isn't lost on me. But sitting outside on a beautiful June night has its numerous charms. Apostasy though it might be, I really love a night game.

For the first night game, we watched the Orioles beat the Astros, 2-1 in the 10th inning. Two nights later we saw the Yankees lose to the Reds, 4-1 (breaking a 7 game winning streak for the Yanks).

The evening at Camden Yards was simply splendid. The ballpark is a glorious setting and, thanks to a former student of Auntie KO who is an Oriole, we had amazing seats just behind the home plate. Friday night at Yankee Stadium was also fun, though Uncle M and I are in agreement that the Yankees need a new stadium (everything smells like a hot dog that has been left around a little too long).

Baseball in a ballpark is a reminder of the beauty of the game. It's a game of slow repetition followed by fast moments. The ball is pitched; batters swing; this pleasant routine repeats itself for pitch after pitch and for a bit nothing seems to happen. Then the bases are loaded up; the catcher and pitcher confer on the mound; hits are made and the crowd watches as the ball swells out in the night sky. I like the rhythm of the game. This summer, JT is old enough to watch and appreciate baseball, which makes it all the more enjoyable.
Too often my life is filled with memories that I'd rather not have; of a life and identity that no longer belong to me. I find that memories from those years feel tainted. But baseball belongs to my childhood and me and this summer I've been happy to share the game with my boy.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

You guys should come down to a game at the new National Stadium. It's a great new ballpark, easily accessible from the Metro, and the tickets are still affordable (not the insane amount of money my sister and I paid to see the Red Sox play at Yankee Stadium last weekend). The Stadium is a great addition to the many attractions of living in DC.

Next time you're in Baltimore for a game, we'd love to come up, too. Camden is lots of fun.