Saturday, July 05, 2008

In Which I Drink the Koolaid

In the last week, I've had the opportunity to see up close and personal the grassroots organization of the Obama campaign. Impressive doesn't begin to describe it. In fact, it's amazingly organized and efficient and, at every meeting that I have attended, the participants have been advised that the movement is theirs, and that the purpose is to organize local communities to take charge of their own destiny; to be the change that they desire. Yes, the Obama folks want these people to vote for their man in November, but that is only one part of the meetings. The bigger part is a message that making change happens one step at a time; empowerment of citizens for the long haul is the goal.

I have seen grassroots movements before; I've joined some of them. But these movements have always been about the cause in question and the organizers invariably seek to own the groups they've organized; the requests for money and loyalty coming seconds after the inspiring rhetoric.

There was none of this at the Obama events I attended. Instead, people were advised that this movement was theirs. The change they wanted? Well, that was theirs as well. And they should go right out and get it.

Those of you who know me, know that I am a realist's realist when it comes to politics. But I'm impressed at the systematic organization of the Obama campaign. They offer a combination of exciting rhetoric followed by real-world advice: it won't happen over night; we must work together; national movements start from the ground up and require organization. I've drunk the Obama koolaid, my friends, and I couldn't be more excited about what we can accomplish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the party! We knew you'd get here eventually, but our patience is secondary only to our organizational effectiveness.