Thursday, July 24, 2008

The House Wine Around Here

There is a joke in the South that the house wine of a southern household is iced tea. And, in fact, I never have been in a southern household that didn't feature iced tea. The years I lived in the south taught me a fondness for sweet iced tea (known simply as sweet tea) as well as the unsweetened stand-by that my mother made when I was growing up.

In the summer, I always have at least one fresh pitcher of iced tea on my counter. It's the first thing that I offer a guest in my home. I make it southern-style, by steeping three tea bags in 3 cups of boiling water for 15 minutes. Then I remove the tea bags and add ice and cold water to fill the pitcher to the rim. If it's sweet tea that you want, dissolve a half cup of white sugar in the boiling water before you add the tea bags.

A pitcher of iced tea was the very first thing I made when I returned from camping on Wednesday evening. It's the house wine of Sassafras House.

2 comments:

Shark Butt said...

That was a particularly fine vintage of iced tea. Welcome back.

Melissa said...

I have had the opportunity to view your posts and admit that I really enjoyed myself. I too am a single momma and would like to invite you to check out a Single site for people like us to share your thoughts with other single mommas/women. I have been a single mom for only a short time now, but have been lucky enough to come across this free site to gain strength, support, and empowerment while on my new path. Like I mentioned before, I like your site, your personality is very positive, and hope you come join this free-site.