Wednesday, July 09, 2008

First Harvest

It's been somewhat dry in my corner of New Jersey, and cautious water-user that I am, that means that while I have continued to water my garden, the lawn has gotten a bit dry. Like most people, I generally prefer a lush, green lawn. Unlike most people, I accept what Mother Nature offers. And M Nature hooked me up with a mowing holiday here in the middle of summer.

The grass-cutting vacation came to an end yesterday afternoon, the consequence of 6 inches of rain last weekend. And as I cut the grass in the backyard, my eye spied the first produce from my garden ----- a yellow squash.
The squash was the foundation of last night's supper. As this second photo demonstrates, tomatoes will soon join the harvest. And that can only mean one thing: BLTs are just around the corner.

No comments: