Friday, April 17, 2009

Food Friday: Spring Salad

Last Friday, when JT and I celebrated Easter, I made one of my favorite spring foods. It's a salad with fresh broccoli and cauliflower that I've been making for years. I call it Spring Salad. You'll call it yummy.
It's a recipe that can expand or contract to meet your needs. And it's a crowd-pleaser. The basic salad, to serve as a side dish for 4 – 6 people.

salad
2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
2 cups finely chopped broccoli
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled
¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese

dressing
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (and it must be mayo, not some substitute)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- enough vinegar to make for a consistency like thick cream.....I use white with a few splashes of red wine or apple vinegar

To chop up all that cauliflower and broccoli, I use a hand-chopper from the Pampered Chef.
It's incredibly quick to make this salad when it's chopped this way (and your nine year old will happily help with the chopper). And it looks pretty.
In a large bowl, mix the ingredients of the salad. Stir the dressing together in a separate bowl and then stir it into the salad about 30 minutes before you intend to serve.

No comments: